There is lot of reports considering experiments on animals that describe the influence of described method on function of stomach and prevention or treatment of stomach ulcers. Research shows that:
- Electroacupuncture of points on YanMing meridians improve circulation in mucosa, regulates level of motilin and somatostatin, and also reduces stomach cramps of rats with stomach ulcers(source)3,
- Electroacupuncture used on rabbits on points mentioned above protects mucosa against damage, probably thanks to secretion of wazoactive intestinale peptide and production of somatostatin(source)4,
- Stimulation of Yan Ming points reduces damage of mucus, increases level of nitric dioxide in mucus, synthase of nitric oxide, E2 proglansyne and epidermal growth factor(source)5
- Electroacupuncture prevents rats from having stomach ulcers, probably thanks to influencing autonomic nervous system(source)6
- Moxibustion of St36 and St21 protects mucus of rats with stress induced ulcers. This effect is closely tied to influence on TGF-alpha synthesis and proliferation of mucus cells, and also reduction of apotosis of mucus cells and higher expression of HSP70(source)7
1 Dickman R, Schiff E, Holland A, Wright C, Sarela SR, Han B, Fass R „Clinical trial: acupuncture vs. doubling the proton pump inhibitor dose in refractory heartburn” Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2007 Nov 15;26(10):1333-44. Epub 2007 Sep 17.
2 Xing W, Li Q. “Effects of different manipulations of acupuncture on electrical activity of stomach in humans.” J Tradit Chin Med. 1998 Mar;18(1):39-42
3 Lin YP, Yi SX, Yan J, Chang XR. “Effect of acupuncture at Foot-Yangming Meridian on gastric mucosal blood flow, gastric motility and brain-gut peptide.” World J Gastroenterol. 2007 Apr 21;13(15):2229-33
4 Yi SX, Yang RD, Yan J, Chang XR, Ling YP “Effect of electro-acupuncture at Foot-Yangming Meridian on somatostatin and expression of somatostatin receptor genes in rabbits with gastric ulcer.” World J Gastroenterol. 2006 Mar 21;12(11):1761-5.
5 Yan J, Yang RD, He JF, Yi SX, Chang XR, Lin YP. “Effect of acupuncture at different meridian acupoints on changes of related factors for rabbit gastric mucosal injury.” World J Gastroenterol. 2005 Nov 7;11(41):6472-6.
6 Wang H, Wang CY, Zhang JS, Sun L, Sun JP, Tian QH, Jin XL, Yin L. “Acupuncture therapy for experimental stomach ulcer and c-Fos expression in rats.” World J Gastroenterol. 2005 Sep 21;11(35):5517-20
7 Yi SX, Peng Y, Chang XR, Peng N, Yan J, Lin YP. “Effect of pre-moxibustion on apoptosis and proliferation of gastric mucosa cells.” World J Gastroenterol. 2007 Apr 21;13(15):2174-8.